Mickelson Pfanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open 2016 2nd Day

+5
j58golf
gophil36
dortt
bulls9999
Admin
9 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

US Open 2016 2nd Day  - Page 6 Empty Re: US Open 2016 2nd Day

Post by gophil36 Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:36 am

He should have a couple of years left as at least a long shot, and I don't think Evan has a graduation coming up, but there may be a high school one there. With the PGA 2 weeks after the Open this year, it's going to be a tiring time as well.

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:41 pm

But Phil's Achille's heel has been his driving. His putting has been up-and-down, but his driving has been historically bad. It was supposed to be better this year, but for Oakmont, it had to be near perfect. And watching Dustin drive those fairways (he missed a few), I knew Phil couldn't keep up with that kind of driving. But I don't know if he had to, look at what Furyk was able to do as one of the shortest hitters in the field.

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by j58golf Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:07 pm

bulls9999 wrote:But Phil's Achille's heel has been his driving. His putting has been up-and-down, but his driving has been historically bad. It was supposed to be better this year, but for Oakmont, it had to be near perfect.  And watching Dustin drive those fairways (he missed a few), I knew Phil couldn't keep up with that kind of driving.  But I don't know if he had to, look at what Furyk was able to do as one of the shortest hitters in the field.

Phil said his irons were 30 to 40 feet away and he was fighting for pars. He said they were fractionally off and was hoping to have more 15 footers which he didn't. I gotta say it has to be discouraging for the field to see DJ hit it that far and straight. DJ stats in putting weren't that great but it didn't matter because he was so close to the flag all week. Even Rickie said when you hit it off the tee that great you don't have to be a great putter just an OK one. Both Furyk and Zack Johnson did OK so long ball isn't mandatory but sure is nice!!

j58golf

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:19 am

With Phil out, I was going for DJ and Sergio.  But I've watched DJ give shots away missing short putts the last few weeks, he had opportunities before Oakmont but didn't take advantage because of his so-so putting.

About DJ driving, lol, they (Michael Breen on Golf Channel) and others used to talk about being 'laid off at the top' (of the backswing) where the wrists bend at the top (back of the hand is flattened, you can lay a platter on it) instead of staying straight.  I used to think, uhm, I do that sometimes, but then noticed a few years ago that DJ does that too?  And now, Michael Breed last night on Golf Channel was showing "how you can hit is farther like Dustin Johnson" and goes into "you have to bend your wrists at the top", lol....a year ago he was saying that that was bad, bad, bad.  Shocked .

US Open 2016 2nd Day  - Page 6 Dj5

j58golf wrote:
bulls9999 wrote:But Phil's Achille's heel has been his driving. His putting has been up-and-down, but his driving has been historically bad. It was supposed to be better this year, but for Oakmont, it had to be near perfect.  And watching Dustin drive those fairways (he missed a few), I knew Phil couldn't keep up with that kind of driving.  But I don't know if he had to, look at what Furyk was able to do as one of the shortest hitters in the field.

Phil said his irons were 30 to 40 feet away and he was fighting for pars. He said they were fractionally off and was hoping to have more 15 footers which he didn't.  I gotta say it has to be discouraging for the field to see DJ hit it that far and straight. DJ  stats in putting weren't that great but it didn't matter because he was so close to the flag all week. Even Rickie said when you hit it off the tee that great you don't have to be a great putter just an OK one. Both Furyk and Zack Johnson  did OK so long ball isn't mandatory but sure is nice!!

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:22 am

j58golf wrote:

Phil said his irons were 30 to 40 feet away and he was fighting for pars. He said they were fractionally off and was hoping to have more 15 footers which he didn't.  I gotta say it has to be discouraging for the field to see DJ hit it that far and straight. DJ  stats in putting weren't that great but it didn't matter because he was so close to the flag all week. Even Rickie said when you hit it off the tee that great you don't have to be a great putter just an OK one. Both Furyk and Zack Johnson  did OK so long ball isn't mandatory but sure is nice!!

Who knows what 2 more days of uninterrupted practice could have done for him to help figure it out Neutral

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:15 am

Well, Dustin is so athletic and about a foot taller than most of us, so his swing is never going to be truly emulated by many.  Interesting that they said on TGC that Dustin's problems in closing had been cerebral.  Without saying anything mean about him, his ability to not overthink anything, or his inability to overthink the situation in the moment may have been his saving grace down the stretch.

It makes sense that if he can get the club back to square (or shut) as they can't decide what he does--then he can really hammer it out there. Of my golfing friends, the one who is the longest off the tee has a baseball swing.  All goes back to athleticism, I think, and repeatedly squaring the club.

I'll bet you play a really good game, Bulls. I think the last hole Dustin played was as perfect as I have ever seen in a major, and I think Phil needs to start hanging out more with DJ. I am also worried that there may be more skeletons in Phil's closet, as he seems to be off again.

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6