Mickelson Pfanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bones (Jim Mackay) joining Golf Channel as 'on-course' reporter

4 posters

Go down

Bones (Jim Mackay) joining Golf Channel as 'on-course' reporter Empty Bones (Jim Mackay) joining Golf Channel as 'on-course' reporter

Post by bulls9999 Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 am

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/mackay-joins-golf-channel-course-reporter

Mackay joins Golf Channel as on-course reporter
Golf Channel Digital,
July 6, 2017, 9:05 am

Jim Mackay serving as on-course reporter during the 2015 RSM Classic. (Getty Images)

After 25 years on the bag, Jim "Bones" Mackay is ready to pick up a microphone.

Weeks after announcing his mutual split from Phil Mickelson, Mackay has signed a multi-year deal to become an on-course reporter for Golf Channel and NBC Sports. His first assignment will be covering The Open at Royal Birkdale.

"During my years as a caddie, I had the opportunity to watch Tommy Roy work his magic in the production truck, and walk the fairways with Notah Begay, Roger Maltbie and Mark Rolfing," Mackay said. "To join them and be a part of the coverage of some of golf's biggest events - starting with The Open - is an opportunity I'm grateful for, and I'm eager to add my take to help illustrate the strategic decisions golfers face inside the ropes."

Mackay, 52, released a joint statement with Mickelson on June 20 announcing the amicable dissolution of a partnership that dated back to Mickelson's pro debut in 1992. The pair emphasized that the split was not tied to a single incident, and Mickelson has his brother, Tim, on the bag for the remainder of the season beginning this week at The Greenbrier Classic.

Mackay served as an on-course reporter for a one-week stint with Golf Channel during the 2015 RSM Classic, and he becomes the first full-time PGA Tour caddie to be added in a tournament broadcasting role.

In addition to The Open, Mackay will also work the Presidents Cup as well as several postseason events culminating with the Tour Championship. He is expected to have a full schedule of events with Golf Channel and NBC in 2018.

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Bones (Jim Mackay) joining Golf Channel as 'on-course' reporter Empty Re: Bones (Jim Mackay) joining Golf Channel as 'on-course' reporter

Post by gophil36 Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:22 am

So happy to read this. I suspect that he was having trouble walking and carrying the bag. He'll do a great job. Bet when this opportunity arose, it was a great way for both of them to handle the situation of getting on with the handling of aging bodies. He'll do a great job!

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Bones (Jim Mackay) joining Golf Channel as 'on-course' reporter Empty Re: Bones (Jim Mackay) joining Golf Channel as 'on-course' reporter

Post by dortt Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:46 pm

suspect he was promised to be Johnny Miller's replacement, and that is why he left Phil. Far more stable income given Phil is not playing at the level he used to

dortt

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:56 am

Besides that, he can take his family with him and spend time with them according to his own schedule and make plans. According to Bones, he texted Phil before the news was made public to tell him of his decision. Who knows the real story, but I m happy for him.

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:59 am

Plus plus for Bones!!!

Admin
Admin

https://phil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:08 am

I can't see that, after all this time, and with Phil making upwards >$40 mill/year with off-course endorsements, he couldn't have given him a 'guaranteed minimum salary' (of say $300-500k)?

dortt wrote:suspect he was promised to be Johnny Miller's replacement, and that is why he left Phil. Far more stable income given Phil is not playing at the level he used to

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:09 am

I can only imagine that must be a fun job. The gal in the interview did say "oh yea, we do like those dinners", so they must have fun dining together.

gophil36 wrote:Besides that, he can take his family with him and spend time with them according to his own schedule and make plans.  According to Bones, he texted Phil before the news was made public to tell him of his decision.  Who knows the real story, but I m happy for him.

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down