Mickelson Pfanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phil and Bones "Part Ways" WTF???

+2
j58golf
bulls9999
6 posters

Go down

Phil and Bones "Part Ways"  WTF??? Empty Phil and Bones "Part Ways" WTF???

Post by bulls9999 Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:35 pm

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/mickelson-longtime-caddie-to-part-ways/ar-BBCXr4m?ocid=UE03DHP

Mickelson, longtime caddie to part ways

Phil Mickelson and his caddie have decided to part ways after 25 years of one of the most famous player-caddie relationships on the PGA Tour.

Mickelson and Jim ''Bones'' Mackay say the decision to split was mutual and not based on an incident.

Mackay, who is not retiring, is the only full-time caddie Mickelson has had in a career that has brought him 45 victories worldwide, five majors and a spot in the World Golf Hall of Fame. Mickelson says his brother, Tim Mickelson, will caddie for him the rest of the year.

Mickelson did not play the U.S. Open to attend his daughter's high school graduation in California. Mackay was at Erin Hills scouting the golf course on the odd chance Mickelson was able to make it in time.

--------------------------------------------------------

Has to be some reason behind this.... if they are both going to play/caddy, then why split? Phil just wants his brother to caddy to throw him some money?

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Phil and Bones "Part Ways"  WTF??? Empty Re: Phil and Bones "Part Ways" WTF???

Post by j58golf Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:42 pm

Whatever gets Phil back in the winners circle I'm all in. Sometimes I thint the analysis is too much. That may be why his "focus " is a problem ..too much information. Weird though in the middle of a season. But reality is Phil is playing well and can't get a victory so no time like the present. Father time is closing in on Phil.

j58golf

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:48 pm

Well, he could easily shut down the flow of information without removing Bones? It's not like Bones is rattling off stuff if Phil didn't want to hear it, just say so. Possibility his performance goes the other way....we'll see.

j58golf wrote:Whatever gets Phil back in the winners circle I'm all in. Sometimes I thint the analysis is too much. That may be why his "focus " is a problem ..too much information. Weird  though in the middle of a season. But reality is Phil is playing well and can't get a victory so no time like the present. Father time is closing in on Phil.

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by dortt Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:04 pm

wonder if Bones decided to leave Phil. Maybe he's as frustrated with Phil a I am

dortt

Back to top Go down

Post by CoJack Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:56 pm

This makes no sense. Something must of happened to lead to this. I read where they weren't too happy with each other at the 17th hole at The Players. Bones is going to make a young golfer better. Fowler or Bradley would be a nice fit.

CoJack

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:00 pm

May be Bones hasn't recovered from his surgery. Not sure he could have walked it last week.  I am shocked!  Another thought is that Bones has a chance for a younger player and Phil cut him loose to go with an up and comer. Maybe he found another bag while scouting Erin Hills solo last week.

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:07 pm

There is certainly something going on.  I would have thought Phil would have perhaps indicated that they could remain together till the end of the year and start anew next year with someone else, kind of like a retirement tour, but a 'caddie going out tour'.  But this sudden announcement, with no new caddie mentioned or new bag for Bones, just seems like 'something happened all of a sudden'.  I wonder what could have precipitated it?

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:21 pm

Roseforte likely knows but golf central is delayed tonight.

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by j58golf Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:28 am

2 incidents that give me pause are the 17th at TPC that was caught on camera. Phil was in contention at that point and clearly they were in disagreement on clubs .After ball went in water Bones was totally overbearing with instructions when Phil said I know what I have to do just give me the number.  That was all on camera. My own theory goes back to Memphis  when Phil was in the lead. The cameras never caught his tee shot that went OB and led to a triple.  The announcers were surprised phil hit iron because his driver was good that day/week.Maybe bones talked him into it and he really didn't want to. Given his 4 yr. drought I'm sure it's quite tense when he is in contention because he wants it so badly.  All that leads to focus issues phil said on Ferherty he can live with his wrong decision more than Bones choice. I know Phil always takes final responsiblility but Im sure given the drought he can be more easily talked out  of things.  Another thing I observed online that week, the first hole they discussed a 4ft. Birdie putt  I was thinking my god bones you hit it. It was crazy. I know bulls says just tell him to shut  up more but  it's not that simple.  I just hope Phil wins soon. He is the one who hits the shots not Bones.

Last edited by j58golf on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total

j58golf

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:12 am

I think that one of them got an opportunity to do something else with someone else. Stay tuned I think.

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:24 am

Big surprise to me--when you are not winning changes happen

Admin
Admin

https://phil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by j58golf Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:28 am

I'm hoping it was more Phils decision. Bones on bag with over 80 million in earnings I think it be really ungrateful if he left PHIL AT THIS Point IN HIS career.

j58golf

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:01 am

It could still be Bones knees.  I know about 5 people I went to high school with (we're all 62-63 now Crying or Very sad ) that have had knee replacements, and although it feels 'great' just walking, they have had their problems and I can only imagine carrying a heavy bag is likely pushing it.  If Bones ends up on another bag, then that's not the reason (it would indicate it was likely Phil). According to Sirius PGA Tour announcers, Bones is likely to be the most sought after caddy in history, that he could land any available tour player if he wanted to continue to caddy (available = someone needing a caddy).

Remember, Bones also did a stint some months back where he was doing some on-course announcing.... he could be a TV golf commentator. Maybe Feherty or others are getting tired of walking the course.

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by dortt Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:53 pm

bulls9999 wrote:It could still be Bones knees.  I know about 5 people I went to high school with (we're all 62-63 now Crying or Very sad ) that have had knee replacements, and although it feels 'great' just walking, they have had their problems and I can only imagine carrying a heavy bag is likely pushing it.  If Bones ends up on another bag, then that's not the reason (it would indicate it was likely Phil).  According to Sirius PGA Tour announcers, Bones is likely to be the most sought after caddy in history, that he could land any available tour player if he wanted to continue to caddy (available = someone needing a caddy).

Remember, Bones also did a stint some months back where he was doing some on-course announcing.... he could be a TV golf commentator.  Maybe Feherty or others are getting tired of walking the course.

if TV, perhaps Johnny Miller's replacement. Miller is OLD now

dortt

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:10 pm

I was thinking tv myself. They said on tv last night that Bones is high on Spieth. Also reported that Phil and Bones have been cranky with each other. Not sure who'd be a good fit for Phil.

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down