Mickelson Pfanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phil is not playing in this year's Masters

5 posters

Go down

Phil is not playing in this year's Masters Empty Re: Phil is not playing in this year's Masters

Post by gophil36 Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:40 pm

I am so bummed.  He loved the Masters so much that it made it fun!  Not looking forward to it as much now.

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Phil is not playing in this year's Masters Empty Re: Phil is not playing in this year's Masters

Post by Admin Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:43 pm

I can't believe it! Sorry for PHIL, his fans and his family

Admin
Admin

https://phil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by j58golf Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:24 pm

This whole situation disgusts me. Phil is being made the sacrificial lamb here. The sports besides golf that do business with the Saudis are many. The LPGA just played there and took appearance fees. This whole thing is blown way out of purportion. Cancel culture is running rampant in America. Eamon Lynch writer who I can't stand keeps saying no golfers are sticking up for Phil. Why the heck would you when you see what they did to him. They be crazy to publicly speak up. I'm hope privately he has had support. Tough time! we never saw this coming!

j58golf

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:03 pm

I tend to agree that Phil is taking a bad rap on this. Frankly many many people have taken Saudi checks. I believe that 90% of what PHIL has said is the truth. He might be assuming that the business/sports people are in line with Saudi government folks-not sure about that but still he is taking a bad rap on this. There was for years tournaments in the Mideast or China or Morocco that governments are not that people friendly. Ditto for Russia where personal freedom is not highly prized. In fact I would liked to see a boycott of China Olympics this year. I think that country is crossing the line in many ways. So IMO PHIL was saying too much but much of what he said about Saudi Arabia was out of line but the truth. As far as the PGA tour goes PHIL and Tiger have provided an outsized impact on tour for an undersized reward from the tour. Still +40 million for year for endorsements does not give PHIL a good look when he talks money.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by j58golf Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:33 pm

The 40 million in endorsements are gone. Hope he invested wisely

j58golf

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:49 pm

I think that what he said has already positively impacted the purses.  I still can't believe he's not playing in the Masters.  The majors can keep people out who join the Saudi league by saying that they have to be in the top whatever in the WGR or a PGA Tour member, but what about the guys who have an exemption as a past champion?  I think there are lots of things to iron out.  Interesting that no one has said that they're joining the league...We know that some probably are.  I saw an interesting article proposing that the Ryder Cup might be a thing of the past.  There are many good players who might join knowing that they'll likely not win majors or be elite golfers making a Team, but are they enough of a draw? I wonder if Phil will join or has joined?  I think its likely that some players who've signed up are still playing the other tours, waiting for the beginning of the new league.  Going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.  Phil is a big draw, and still has many fans.

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by CoJack Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:10 pm

DeChambeau has tried to reach out to Phil, but he has not heard back from him, https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/33671472/bryson-dechambeau-probably-80-percent-right-now-pass-masters

CoJack

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:34 pm

Tiger playing or not, without Phil there it's not as exciting for me and not as interesting. I wonder what's going on with him mentally. He's disappeared.

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by j58golf Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:48 pm

2 weeks ago Gary williams interviewed Greg Norman and he said he had talked to Phil since all this happened. Don't know how often or when Bryson reached out but Masters week has to be a tough week for Phil not being there. I think he will Surface after the Masters. The tiger love fest is pretty over the top. I'll watch the tournament but it won't be mandatory viewing like when Phil plays.

j58golf

gophil36 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dortt Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:58 pm

Ridley said Phil was not disinvited. It was Phil's decision not to play

Some of his comments earlier made it seem he's going all in on the US Open, when he said if he wins that, he retires on the spot

As for word from Phil, seems to be a parallel to when Tiger went silent. He only communicated to Phil after Elin chased him with a 9 iron. I suspect that Phil is only talking to Tiger

dortt

Back to top Go down

Post by j58golf Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:09 pm

As much as I want to see Phil play. If he participated in the Masters the press would be all over him saying how quick this self reflection was. This was Phils favorite tournament so skipping it proves he is taking the time off seriously. That being said I'd be fine with Phil winning the US open then retirement. Finally Phil had some positive press from the panel after Ridleys presser. Sands, Diaz, Aaron and Notah all like Phil and seem somewhat objective . Unlike Chamblee and Lynch who are total publicity whores !!

j58golf

gophil36 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dortt Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:18 am

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gary-player-saudi-golf

Gary Player hit his opening tee shot sponsored by Golf Saudi

I suspect Augusta may be a bit involved in the Saudi golf thing

dortt

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:22 pm

This Masters is lackluster without Phil. Doesn't feel as special or exciting!

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:21 pm

Heart broken without PHIL in Augusta

Admin
Admin

gophil36 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:33 pm

This was one of the most boring Masters I've watched. The most exciting thing I saw today was McIlroy and Morikawa both chipping in from the sand on 18 for birdies! Scheffler stayed calm and outlasted the rest, but it was vanilla. Not much energy out there! Plus the lead was another factor. Congratulations to Scheffler. He's had a good run.

gophil36

j58golf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down