Mickelson Pfanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phil on Captain's Pick: "“I’m not asking for one. I don’t expect one. I think there a lot of better options for the U.S. side.”

4 posters

Go down

Phil on Captain's Pick: "“I’m not asking for one. I don’t expect one. I think there a lot of better options for the U.S. side.” Empty Phil on Captain's Pick: "“I’m not asking for one. I don’t expect one. I think there a lot of better options for the U.S. side.”

Post by bulls9999 Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:22 am

Phil has given up on trying for President's Cup:

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/phil-mickelson-expects-cup-streak-end-there-lot-better-options

Two Phil Mickelson streaks are in danger of ending this fall.

The first is his run of more than 25 consecutive years inside the top 50 in the world ranking; currently ranked 47th, Mickelson faces the possibility, for the first time, that he could drop outside the top 50 following this week’s CJ Cup in Korea.

Months of poor play have also imperiled another incredible streak: His 24 consecutive team competitions.
Mickelson essentially conceded Wednesday that he won’t – and shouldn’t – be picked by Presidents Cup captain Tiger Woods for the December matches at Royal Melbourne

“There are much better options of players that have played consistently at a high level that deserve to be on the team,” Mickelson told reporters at the CJ Cup. “Even if I were to win, I have not done enough to warrant a pick.

“I’m not asking for one. I don’t expect one. I think there a lot of better options for the U.S. side.”
Mickelson hasn’t finished better than 48th since the Masters. He has said on multiple occasions that this is the worst stretch of his career, but he’s attempted to regain his form by dropping nearly 30 pounds – he’s now close to his college weight – and focusing his practice on quality over quantity.

===>  At the same time, the same should be said for Tiger.... should not be picking himself over more deserving younger talent; let go of the ego (not the Eggo)

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Phil on Captain's Pick: "“I’m not asking for one. I don’t expect one. I think there a lot of better options for the U.S. side.” Empty Re: Phil on Captain's Pick: "“I’m not asking for one. I don’t expect one. I think there a lot of better options for the U.S. side.”

Post by j58golf Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:31 pm

If he wins this week or in China he should be on the team. Otherwise no.

j58golf

Back to top Go down

Phil on Captain's Pick: "“I’m not asking for one. I don’t expect one. I think there a lot of better options for the U.S. side.” Empty Re: Phil on Captain's Pick: "“I’m not asking for one. I don’t expect one. I think there a lot of better options for the U.S. side.”

Post by Admin Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:48 am

PHIL had a decent -2 last night--I did not realize he was playing this week

I do agree with him on this

Admin
Admin

https://phil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:35 am

Phil even covered that:  "“Even if I were to win, I have not done enough to warrant a pick."  The golf pundits were saying probably 2 consecutive wins to get him on the team as a pick, but 1 win & 1 top 10?, maybe/maybe not.  The only thing I think a win would do is keep it fresh in the minds of those that choose.... kind of like the reasoning why Rory won player of the year (players voting) because his winning the FedEx cup was right at the very end, just before the voting.

j58golf wrote:If he wins this week or in China he should be on the team.  Otherwise no.

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by CoJack Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:12 pm

Tiger just won the ZOZO Championship. He played like the old Tiger. I have no problem if he decides to play in the President's Cup.

CoJack

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:32 pm

Yes, deservingly so. Phil's driving has been killing him for 15+ years. If he could only rail in those wayward shots.

CoJack wrote:Tiger just won the ZOZO Championship. He played like the old Tiger. I have no problem if he decides to play in the President's Cup.

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down