Phil with new medical condition

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Phil with new medical condition

Post by dortt on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:35 pm

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/phil-dealing-unspecified-medical-issue

nay be the cause of his recent play

dortt

Posts : 223
Join date : 2014-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phil with new medical condition

Post by Admin on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:02 am

I wonder if its not so much a new condition as much a side effect of his medicine? Or a change in medicine? One's energy level and focus can certainly be affected by his current ailment and or his medicine.

Thankful he looked into it

Admin
Admin

Posts : 1514
Join date : 2014-10-16

View user profile http://phil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Phil with new medical condition

Post by bulls9999 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:58 am

Or may be an excuse....the 'new condition' was not mentioned. I have grown cautious of Phil's numerous explanations over the years.  Now he has a solution/cure and he's back to being better all of a sudden, yea, ok.  Let's see how far this goes.

....it could simply be 'getting old, not having the patience you once had when younger'. I suffer that same thing too when I golf....just get up to the ball, not even a practice stroke and take a swing....comes off bad and then say, bad bad bad, didn't even look to see the direction the green goes, no practice swing, ugh, dummie me. I've never claimed an affliction for my 'lack of focus', I call it "not having the patience I once had".
avatar
bulls9999

Posts : 1378
Join date : 2015-01-14
Location : Oklahoma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phil with new medical condition

Post by j58golf on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:30 am

I don't think Phil is stupid enough to reveal this unless it had some real merit. I'm sure there are side effects from his medication and him seeking medical attention was apparently long over due. He has had enough bad press over the years for unrelated golf stuff he's not going to bring attention to himself with a bogus excuse. That being said being 47 only adds to the problem. I hope things improve there is no one I will ever be this enthusiastsic about to root for.

j58golf

Posts : 1775
Join date : 2014-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phil with new medical condition

Post by bulls9999 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:39 am

I don't think there is anything to 'reveal'. He is being pressed to perform in order to justify a President's Cup pick with 2 FedEx Cup tournaments to go. He has a lackluster 1st FedEx cup tourney. Now all of a sudden he reveals 'some new treatment has given him energy and focus'. It could simply be he's changed the medication to some other one and it seems like it's improving (my mother has been on 3-4 different blood pressure medications, in order to improve side effect conditions...some were worse, and some were better). So now he stretches that to reveal (notice the 'reveal' is after a good round, not before, lol) some new treatment has given him more energy, focus.... (i.e., read it as "ok, now I'm good to go as a Captain's Pick because of that"). See if that doesn't come up again in the conversation regarding Captain's pick....hmmmm.

j58golf wrote:I don't think Phil is stupid enough to reveal this unless it had some real merit.  I'm sure there are side effects from his medication and him seeking medical attention was apparently long over due. He has had enough bad press over the years for unrelated golf stuff  he's not going to bring attention to himself with a bogus excuse. That being said being 47 only adds to the problem.  I hope things improve  there is no one I will ever be this  enthusiastsic about to root for.
avatar
bulls9999

Posts : 1378
Join date : 2015-01-14
Location : Oklahoma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phil with new medical condition

Post by j58golf on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:56 am

bulls9999 wrote:I don't think there is anything to 'reveal'.  He is being pressed to perform in order to justify a President's Cup pick with 2 FedEx Cup tournaments to go.  He has a lackluster 1st FedEx cup tourney. Now all of a sudden he reveals 'some new treatment has given him energy and focus'. It could simply be he's changed the medication to some other one and it seems like it's improving (my mother has been on 3-4 different blood pressure medications, in order to improve side effect conditions...some were worse, and some were better).  So now he stretches that to reveal (notice the 'reveal' is after a good round, not before, lol) some new treatment has given him more energy, focus.... (i.e., read it as "ok, now I'm good to go as a Captain's Pick because of that").  See if that doesn't come up again in the conversation regarding Captain's pick....hmmmm.

j58golf wrote:I don't think Phil is stupid enough to reveal this unless it had some real merit.  I'm sure there are side effects from his medication and him seeking medical attention was apparently long over due. He has had enough bad press over the years for unrelated golf stuff  he's not going to bring attention to himself with a bogus excuse. That being said being 47 only adds to the problem.  I hope things improve  there is no one I will ever be this  enthusiastsic about to root for.


You're a,tough cookie bulls. Lol Wink lets,see hoe the weekend plays out.

j58golf

Posts : 1775
Join date : 2014-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phil with new medical condition

Post by bulls9999 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:27 am

....had me thinking. Could it have been the Embrel?.... and since Phil is taking $$$ for advertisement commercials, he can't come out and say that his doctor changed his prescription to a different psoriasis-medication that works better for him?

On the way in to church yesterday, a veterinanarian asked how my mom was (she used to live here by me, but in February, we moved her in to live with my sister and husband in Florida; she's an occupational therapist and works with elderly, so better equipped to help mom who is 87). I mention to her how she was doing OK until the doctor changed her blood pressure medications to help with swelling in her leg and screwed her head up (suddenly, could not write letters, could not knit anymore, could not work the TV remote or cordless telephone) and physically looked worse (pale in the face, balance)...she could not stay by herself now, all of a sudden and it was exasperating to my sister who was late to work, took time off, had outside nurse attendant, etc.... then I told her to tell the doctor we think its the new medication, he switched her off to something else and now she's back to where she was before, much better. I told that veterinarian that story and saying, I can only imagine people who don't have someone to look after them that closely and question that kind of medication-related physical change to make a change to something else.... do they get screwed up permanently on 'bad medication'? ... and the veterinarian said she has so many elderly among her clients, she sees that a lot (change of medication to try to help actually screws them up worse).

http://www.golfwrx.com/460312/5-strategies-to-keep-your-mind-in-the-present-on-the-golf-course/

5 Strategies To Keep Your Mind in the Present on the Golf Course

By Dr. Dan Vosgerichian - Sep 2, 2017

Staying in the present is one of the most important areas of the mental game that sport psychologists work on with golfers. Nearly every week, winners from the PGA Tour to the LPGA Tour will attribute a part of their victory to their ability to stay in the present. They may use different terms (staying in the moment, focusing on the task at hand, or concentrating on the process), but their overall message is the same; they were able to manage their mind and stay focused on the present. Keeping your mind focused on the present is not a principle only reserved for golf’s best players; it’s one that should be practiced by all golfers who want to play their best.

Being focused on the present is a relatively straightforward concept in golf psychology. While a golfer’s body can only be found physically in the present moment, a golfer’s mind can wander nearly anywhere. It can think back to past circumstances like a mistake a golfer made on a previous hole. It can also go into the future and think about a shot or hole that’s coming up. Sometimes a golfer’s mind will even stroll to thoughts outside of the course to something like an errand or a business deal. There is no shortage of places the mind can go that are not occurring in that present moment.

Unfortunately, the more a golfer’s mind strays away from the present moment, the harder it is for that golfer to play his or her best golf. This is especially true right before a shot. There is no time more important to be in the present than during the pre-shot routine and while swinging the club. Being immersed in the moment and giving each shot 100 percent is one of the most important factors to a sound mindset and mental game.

While being in the present moment is one of the simplest concepts for golfers to understand, it is also one of the most challenging skills for them to consistently implement in their mental game. No golfer has ever mastered it, and no golfer probably ever will. I see countless golfers put so much pressure on themselves to do it perfect or not do it at all. They impose an all-or-none attitude on themselves, and this is potentially one of the biggest reasons in golf psychology that players struggle to stay in the present. They figure, “I tried it, but my mind wandered after two holes (or maybe two seconds). So, I might as well just accept my mind can’t stay in the present.”

The truth is that everyone from Jack Nicklaus to Arnold Palmer to Jason Day to Dustin Johnson are tested by the golf gods; on the course, their minds wander more than you would believe. That’s because no golfer’s mind comes “golf ready.” Staying in the present is a part of the game we all battle each time we go out on the course. In golf, you have “outer-game challenges” like bunker shots and “inner-game challenges” like staying in the present. Just as you wouldn’t abandon your swing after one bad shot or bad round, you shouldn’t abandon being focused in the moment on the course. The more time and energy you dedicate to staying in the present, the better you will become at managing your mind to stay in the moment.

Just as the idea of being focused on the present is a simple concept, and so are many of the solutions. I have found from my experience as a mental coach that the simplest solutions are often the most powerful and easiest to implement. As with every strategy in sport psychology, the more time you dedicate to practicing these techniques (on and off the golf course) the more ingrained these mental skills will become.

Each of the 5 strategies are great ways to manage your mind to be present focused on the golf course. The key is finding the strategies that work best for you. Try each of the strategies and use the one(s) that fit your personality.
1. Gain a Better Awareness for When You Start to Lose Focus with Self-Monitoring
2. Know What You Want to Focus on Before You Start to Lose Focus
3. What’s Important Now: Ask “W.I.N.ing” Questions
4. Have Well-Established Routines
5. Harness the Moment with the Power of Breath


avatar
bulls9999

Posts : 1378
Join date : 2015-01-14
Location : Oklahoma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phil with new medical condition

Post by j58golf on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:51 am

Wow what a story about your Mom. So glad she is back to a quality of life. It's pretty sad but you hit the nail on the head. What about the elderly who have no one to really look into things for them. A friend told me once that's why they call it "practicing " medicine. Some of these doctors really in it for the $$ and are overloaded with patients.
As for Phil.. well the next 2 rounds will tell the story. He hasn't put 4 good rounds together all year. The fact that he is even playing golf at all is a testament to the Embrel. I remember reading he couldn't get off the couch when he first became afflicted with this. He thought his career was over.

j58golf

Posts : 1775
Join date : 2014-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phil with new medical condition

Post by bulls9999 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:21 pm

So that makes me wonder of no one mentioned exactly what was it that the doctor found and what was the change that all of a sudden 'gave Phil his energy back'?  If it was a different medication to treat the same thing? (some different meds come at the affliction from a different approach and have different side effects), but Phil can't say anything because he's still getting advertising money for the Embrel commercials?  Curious.... but making some mistakes on pushing his missed birdie putt too far, but made the come back par putt.

j58golf wrote:Wow what a story about your Mom. So glad she is back to a quality of life. It's pretty sad but you hit the nail on the head. What about the elderly who have no one to really look into things for them. A friend told me once that's why they call it "practicing " medicine. Some of these doctors really in it for the $$  and are overloaded with patients.
  As for Phil.. well the next 2 rounds will tell the story. He hasn't put 4 good rounds together all year. The fact that he is even playing golf at all is a testament to the Embrel. I remember reading he couldn't get off the couch when he first became afflicted with this. He thought his career was over.
avatar
bulls9999

Posts : 1378
Join date : 2015-01-14
Location : Oklahoma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phil with new medical condition

Post by bulls9999 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:34 pm

Glad it wasn't just me that thought this was a vague comment about 'something was identified by the doctor' and a 'vague solution' to a question about his improvement.

Phil-mickelson-has-great-week-in-boston-after-discovering-something-with-body

Phil Mickelson has great week in Boston after discovering 'something' with body;
Lefty would not disclose what was ailing him at the Dell Technologies Championship


"He seemed to have found something ... this is the best energy I've had throughout the round and the best focus; the first time I've been able to visualize. My short game has been very disappointing and I haven't been able to visualize the shot I've been trying to hit. And today, and for probably the last few days, I've been able to see the shot again. And so it was a good day."

Mickelson was asked what the doctor found.

Rid your worry of thyroid cancer. Search these listings to determine what symptoms are worth discussing with a health care professional.

"Oh, I don't want to get into my medical stuff."

Mickelson shot three more rounds in the 60s on the week and finished T6 with Pat Perez, Patrick Reed and Kevin Na. It was his best finish since the WGC-Dell Match Play in March and his best finish in any stroke play event this year.

"I guess the greatest example or the best example I can think of is when you're really tired. You've worked however long and you just go lie down, and you just can't get out of bed for a day or two," Mickelson said. "I have been in bed for days this year, I mean, multiple days, just with fatigue. Three or four days at a time, I can't get out of bed, and that's not normal.

"I finally just kind of figured it out ... This is a great first start. It's really not that big a deal as far as there's no medication -- well, there is a little bit, but more natural stuff and change in diet. (My doctor) said it would take about a week to notice and certainly after a week, I noticed a difference and I felt a lot better. Hopefully this will continue an upward trend. It was a good start this week, and next week I'll get back and see how I feel after working out and playing and practicing and so forth."
avatar
bulls9999

Posts : 1378
Join date : 2015-01-14
Location : Oklahoma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phil with new medical condition

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum