Mickelson Pfanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

President's Cup 2nd Day matches

+2
CoJack
Admin
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

President's Cup  2nd  Day matches  - Page 2 Empty Re: President's Cup 2nd Day matches

Post by gregoryc Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:15 am

gophil36 wrote:It was a dpuble hole penalty for picking up his ball.

This is not correct. He could have replaced his ball and finished the hole as long as he had done so before anyone else played on that hold. It still would have been single-hole penalty no matter what, as the rule was breached as soon as he struck his tee ball. However, by picking up, Phil lost the ability to compete to win or halve the 7th hole. Internationals made birdie, so either Zach or Phil needed a 4 to halve. Zach made 5. By picking up and not replacing before play resumed, Phil was unable to attempt and win or halve the hole. The one-hole penalty would have remained either way.

The rule is really not that difficult to understand; however the penalty for breach is a bit wonky. I'm still baffled that, between the walking rules official and the committee, they botched it so badly.

gregoryc

Back to top Go down

President's Cup  2nd  Day matches  - Page 2 Empty Re: President's Cup 2nd Day matches

Post by gregoryc Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:16 am

bulls9999 wrote:And Phil is getting sat out for the next round?.... what?....they did well to battle back from down-2 deficit.  

Bill Haas is going back in after that poor putting performance?....he didn't make a putt all day, at least not one over 3 feet!!

http://www.presidentscup.com/livescoring.html

There are two matches Saturday. It was always the plan to have Phil sit one of those matches. Five matchers in four days is just too much for us old guys.

gregoryc

Back to top Go down

Post by gregoryc Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:33 am

I wonder if Suzanne Petterson called Phil last night ...

gregoryc

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:06 am

Lol. I understand the rule, but I don't understand why there was no remedy for the officials incorrectly telling him to pick up his ball. If he had finished the hole and tied --birdied--he would not have lost the hole--even though he was out of it and the penalty would have been 1 hole and theyd have won the match. Sorry doesn't really cut it here. I agree with Ralph. Can't understand Phil s mistake either as he's a rules guy.

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:42 am

Forgot to add that I think it was amazing how he and Zach rallied back from 2 down and the debacle to halve the match! Also love the way Phil's taking responsibility, as he should, and moving on, even though it's not as easy for me. LOL

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:32 pm

Where was Phil at the point of picking up his ball....I forgot, in the rough? Would he have had a valid shot at birdie?....then again, with the way my mind thinks, if anything different were to have occurred, he may not have been in that bunker later, or not exactly in the same position or just one minutia off/different, and would not have make the hole out.  If anything in that process that had occurred was different or changed, then everything that occurred later would have been out of sync and not happened the same way.  So if he played the ball instead of picking it up, everything would have been different....they could have still lost 2 points, but not made the subsequent hole out.  

For the hole out to have happened, everything had to have been exactly as had happened, imo.

Yes, I forgot there are 2 rounds of matches tonight, sitting Phil for 1 is fair, but Haas putting was horrendous except for his chip in.

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:42 am

PHIL and Zach played superb while I snoozed. I will attempt to stay up longer tonight and the matches do start early.

Admin
Admin

https://phil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:57 pm

Even the announcers said that Phil has played very well during this Pres. Cup. Right now it's all about Jordon Spieth, who in my opinion, played very poorly for the first and most of the second rounds and into the 3rd. Glad he got it going, but he was much better with Reed. I think it's going to be another deal like we had with Tiger where he always gets to partner with his choice. Easier to have a good record that way when you can always pick the hot player and the one who really complements your game. They should have a choice, but he'll always have first pick, I think. Just hope they can get it done in singles. Nick Price knew what he was doing by fixing it so that he could hide his weakest players.

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by j58golf Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:04 pm

bulls9999 wrote:Where was Phil at the point of picking up his ball....I forgot, in the rough? Would he have had a valid shot at birdie?....then again, with the way my mind thinks, if anything different were to have occurred, he may not have been in that bunker later, or not exactly in the same position or just one minutia off/different, and would not have make the hole out.  If anything in that process that had occurred was different or changed, then everything that occurred later would have been out of sync and not happened the same way.  So if he played the ball instead of picking it up, everything would have been different....they could have still lost 2 points, but not made the subsequent hole out.  

For the hole out to have happened, everything had to have been exactly as had happened, imo.

Yes, I forgot there are 2 rounds of matches tonight, sitting Phil for 1 is fair, but Haas putting was horrendous except for his chip in.

I read his ball was in the fairway

j58golf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum