Mickelson Pfanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phil's Covid-19/Omicron variant comment goes viral

2 posters

Go down

Phil's Covid-19/Omicron variant comment goes viral Empty Phil's Covid-19/Omicron variant comment goes viral

Post by bulls9999 Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:50 am

Earlier this week, star golfer Phil Mickelson took to Twitter with an interesting – and somewhat controversial – question.

Mickelson is very curious about the newest wave of COVID-19, dubbed Omicron. He seems to suggest – during his advanced research (satire) – that the new wave isn’t as deadly as others.

With that in mind, he wondering if it would be a better idea to just let it spread. He put all of that out into the world – with his some 800,000 followers on Twitter – and certainly got the attention he was asking for.

“Serious question since I’m not a doctor,” Mickelson started off.

“If omicron is contagious but not deadly (25,000 cases in Africa with no deaths) why try and control it? Why not let it go and let people get it and develop immunity? Especially for those who won’t get vaccinated? Pls no hate, I’m just curious,” he said.

Serious question since I’m not a dr. If omicron is contagious but not deadly(25,000 cases in Africa with no deaths) why try and control it? Why not let it go and let people get it and develop immunity? Especially for those who won’t get vaccinated? Pls no hate, I’m just curious.

— Phil Mickelson (@PhilMickelson) December 23, 2021

You already have that situation.... and the answer is, 95% of those being hospitalized are the UNVACCINATED! So Phil, why don't you and your family try it out? (saying this facetiously) What a dumchit statement.  I'm double-vaccinated and boostered, but still would not want to contract even mild case of Covid-19 because of the possible 'long-haul' effects downstream (no one fully yet understands the longterm consequences of this virus; there has been news of unusual blood clots). As a microbiologist, I don't like viruses....some are very hard to get rid of.  Phil, you ever hear of shingles (from varicella-zoster/chickenpox virus), AIDS, and herpes virus (all these viruses have long term consequences)?

If 60% of population has been vaccinated (latest i saw was 59%), then that leaves 0.4 x 330 million people = 132 million unvaccinated. Phil's method would make 95% of unvaccinated readily infectable (Omicron is 30-50% more infectious than Delta, although it also results in less hospitalizations) = 0.95 x 132 million = 125 million newly infected people. Vaccinated people get about 5% breakthrough cases so 132 million unvaccinated x 0.05 = 6.6 million of unvaccinated infected. I would rather have only 6.6 million infected with the possibility of yet unknown long term affects than 125 million cases. Vaccination is a better longterm solution when you don't yet know the longterm consequences.

[b] Phil, stay in your lane.
[/b]

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Phil's Covid-19/Omicron variant comment goes viral Empty Re: Phil's Covid-19/Omicron variant comment goes viral

Post by bulls9999 Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:25 am

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Phil's Covid-19/Omicron variant comment goes viral Empty Re: Phil's Covid-19/Omicron variant comment goes viral

Post by gophil36 Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:52 pm

Not a stupid question, as Ive heard scientists say it's possibly going to be the answer to getting past this. Then again, is this Phil's way to cement his award? Haha

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum