Post by Admin on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:50 pm

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://phil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: PHIL and money laudering?

Post by bulls9999 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:36 pm

Wow, my wife just texted me and I just did a search:

http://www.businessinsider.com/report-phil-mickelson-money-laundered-gambling-2015-6

Must be tied to that stuff from last year when they sent FBI agents to the Memorial(?) who unceremoniously walked him off the course after the round.  But this makes no sense... one line says he's not being investigated and the 2nd line after says he was identified as the 'unnamed gambling client'.  If they can prove that, he will be charged (uhm, wired money is easily traced, is it not?).

"According to the report, Mickelson is not being investigated and has not been charged in the case.

The case against Silveira revolves around a $2.75 million wire transfer he received from a "gambling client" and was to be used for "illegal sports betting."

Mickelson is not named in the court documents. However, the two sources for "Outside the Lines" identified Mickelson as the unnamed "gambling client." Also, an initial plea agreement referred to "money laundering of funds from P.M."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/report-phil-mickelson-money-laundered-gambling-2015-6#ixzz3eUAouf2k

Oh Phil, please tell me it ain't so.... otherwise "I'm such an Idiot" never seemed more true.

I'm reading more and more that federal agents go after people they can't get with the actual crime and get them for something more mundane, like 'lying' or in the case of Dennis Hastert who paid off some young boy he sexually (alleged) abused with $3 mill+ hush money.....not for the crime (because they can't anymore) but for trying to bypass taxes on taking large sums of money out of the bank in pieces below the level the bank is required to report (>$10,000), and the guy he gave it to supposed to report it as income...both screwed.
bulls9999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:02 pm

I just saw this on the article on the Golf Channel:

ESPN's legal analyst Lester Munson explains that the likely reason Mickelson hasn't been charged is that "federal gambling laws are directed at gambling enterprises and not at individual bettors."
bulls9999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:12 pm

Well, does that mean that he could be charged, will be charged, or won't be charged? Not sure how all of this makes sense to anyone.

gophil36

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:33 pm

Phil is smart, and is a gambler at heart. He obviously knows the law, and if he chose to break it, he'll face the consequences, but I'll bet that he wouldn't do something that stupid and put his family life and his reputation in such jeopardy. Stranger things have happened, I guess, but I hope he's home practicing and baking cookies. Sad

gophil36

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by j58golf on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:42 pm

just read up on this latest news and Phil's 2.75 million was money he wired to a gambling business to place bets like an off track betting account , likely off shore account. many people do that. 2.75 million is nothing to Phil and as article said he is a customer YES BIG BUCKS customer but cannot be charged. He is a big name and its going to make big news unfortunately

j58golf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:45 pm

Thanks.  It really is not that big a deal if it isn't illegal.  My husband had a thing for gambling, and he just loved it, win or lose.  Didn't care. It was the thrill of trying to beat the odds or figure them out.  Phil knows some big players, and he'll be on the radar of the trackers.  If he weren't such a decent guy, it wouldn't be news.  The life of the rich and famous are like soap operas.  Glad that he's not going to be in any hot water.
It's going to be interesting this week to see how he responds to questions this week in Scotland. I believe that these off course distractions have derailed his game. Hope this doesn't tarnish his reputation to the point of costing him a Ryder Cup captaincy or anything else.

gophil36

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top