Mickelson Pfanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phil is 'tinkering' again... testing new driver shaft.

Go down

Phil is 'tinkering' again... testing new driver shaft. Empty Phil is 'tinkering' again... testing new driver shaft.

Post by bulls9999 Wed May 01, 2019 8:08 am

Phil Mickelson was spotted deviating from his traditional Project X HZRDUS T1100 on the range ahead of the Wells Fargo Championship. In its place, Lefty was testing a prototype Aldila Rogue Black 130 M.S.I. 60-TX shaft in his Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero (3 diamond head, 10 degrees, set at neutral). The shaft is 45 inches and tipped one inch.

It's all in the shaft … I'm starting to think so. Myself, I've stuck with the Callaway drivers for the recent years because they've kept the same adapter (Optifit2) since ~2015 and that means I've been able to stockpile some shafts and switch them out in the preferred Callaway head.  Although my best is the 2015 Optiforce 440cc, I purchased a 2016 Great Big Bertha Alpha on Ebay (heck, $65 brand new) but hated the sound but liked the shaft, especially when I put its Fuji Speeder 565 in my Optiforce 440 head.  Then I go to demo day at our club, hit the Callaway Epic Flash really well and purchase that (ugh, $549 hurt the wallet), but wasn't thrilled with it as I've always liked the smaller heads (440cc, sub-460), but switched out the top-rated Tensai AV Blue 65 shaft with the lighter Fuji Speeder in my Optiforce, and now, wow, I've got 2 killer drivers that are vying to stay in the bag.... the Epic Flash with the Fuji Speeder 565 and the Optiforce 440 with the Tensai AV Blue.... both are putting me at places in the fairway I've not been able to reach before (or at least in 10-12 years)!!  Selling all the other stuff on the 'bay!! (just sold 2 sets of my irons, 1 set of my wife's irons, a putter, 2 drivers on the bay :-)…. and my paypal balance is stacked.  For me, the difference in the 440cc driver heads (I can't believe a simple 20cc makes that kind of difference) and the normal 460cc heads is like the difference in swinging a driver vs 3-wood.  The 440cc's gives me the easy-smooth-fast swing of a 3-wood; maybe it's the aerodynamic drag of the 460cc heads, I don't know.  But all the heads I've liked are sub-460cc's (Callaway FT Tour, FT9, RazR Fit Extreme, Optiforce 440). Unfortunately, Callaway stopped making sub-460 cc drivers; I think the last was the 2016 Callaway XR 16 Pro. (The new TM M1 is 435cc, but only in right-hand; I'm a lefty).

Phil testing new driver shaft

bulls9999

Back to top Go down