Mickelson Pfanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phil should have been DQed in 2010 masters

3 posters

Go down

Phil should have been DQed in 2010 masters Empty Phil should have been DQed in 2010 masters

Post by dortt Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:54 am

Was reading this article about someone losing their tour card because of 4 penalty strokes for a putt hitting a leaf and not replaying the shot

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-4918278/Matthew-Southgate-penalty-leaves-PGA-Tour-card-battle.html

The same thing happened to Phil on his birdie putt in the final round at the 2010 Masters, except it was a pine needle that blew into his line, causing the ball to change directions. Phil also did not replay his putt, finished the hole.

That would be 2 penalty strokes for playing from the wrong spot. Since he signed for a 5 on the hole and not a 7, that means under the 2010 rules, the only possible outcome was DQ.

Now, I am quite glad Phil was not DQed. After his win and his emotional embrace with Amy, there would have been a full on riot at Augusta had he received a DQ, and that may be the single dumbest rule in all of golf. But did Phil ever get away with one

dortt

Back to top Go down

Phil should have been DQed in 2010 masters Empty Re: Phil should have been DQed in 2010 masters

Post by j58golf Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:41 am

It wasn't like that incident with Phils putt was discovered after the fact. I remember it being discussed and replayed during the tournament and Phil even discussed it in the press conference after. Hard to believe someone wouldn't have said a rule was broken. I guess 7 years ago maybe the "home officials " stationed in there living rooms weren't as adamant about things.

j58golf

Back to top Go down

Phil should have been DQed in 2010 masters Empty Re: Phil should have been DQed in 2010 masters

Post by Admin Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:02 am

I thought about that article and PHIL 2010 but while not a total rules guru I can see several reasons why it does not apply.

1st the pine seed(not a needle) fell while PHIL was in the middle of the stroke prepartion and he did not see it fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bc2HC3Q-GQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFEWH0V02uM

A golfer can be held responsible for what happens while in his stroke and he is not looking at the line. It was so weird.

Admin
Admin

https://phil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:20 pm

I think the referees blew the call in this event--Rule 19-1b says

b. If a player's ball in motion after a stroke on the putting green is deflected or stopped by, or comes to rest in or on, any moving or animate outside agency, except a worm, insect or the like, the stroke is canceled. The ball must be replaced and replayed.

IMO the rules decision was faulty because IMO a leaf is very similar in nature to an insect or worm (dead or alive it makes no difference) because it is an act of nature. I could go on about this but with the idea of a live or dead bug on the leaf but why bother? Clearly the rule has in mind the idea of nature impacting the ball and that not being a problem.

2nd it clearly go backs to the idea of an outside agencey and do the rules define an outside agency-- a fan or an officer or some animinate moving object like a bird or mammal. Not a leaf or a bug or a worm--a beer bottle or piece of trash IMO could qualify as an outside agency because those were brought to the course. If a player decides not to remove all of the leaves on the green then it is putter beware because it could blow into your moving ball.

For what it is worth I immediately thought of PHIL's ball on the 2nd green in 2010 and dismissed it for both reasons that I listed.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dortt Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:14 pm

j58golf wrote:It wasn't like that incident with Phils putt was discovered after the fact. I remember it being discussed and replayed during the tournament and Phil even discussed it in the press conference after. Hard to believe someone wouldn't have said a rule was broken. I guess 7 years ago maybe the "home officials "  stationed in there living rooms weren't as adamant about things.

wasn'ta home official who caught this recent violation. Was the committee itself. I did read most pros did not know that rule either.

I suspect Augusta and the USGA were not going to enforce that rule against Phil. Would have been quite ugly if after Phil signed his card they would have got him on that rule

dortt

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:55 pm

Dortt It is fall in Memphis now. We routinely putt over leaves and partial leaves all the times. We can't get all of the partial leaves on the green off them. Our course only blows leaves once a day. We would have never have a missed putt if re-putted every time we hit a leaf and had a possible deflection.

A leaf or a partial leaf can't be an outside agency like a fan or a beer bottle or an animal running across the green. If a missed a small twig and the ball hit is it a penalty for me not to remove the twig and re hit again. If leaves or twigs on the wrong line for my putt I would move and if I missed my putt I reload. I think the moving leave ruling was all wrong and clearly violates the spirit of the rules that what nature throws at you you have to live with. Unless it is a big enough animal to move your ball.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down