Mickelson Pfanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phil out of US Open

5 posters

Go down

Phil out of US Open Empty Phil out of US Open

Post by dortt Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:14 pm

going to daughter's graduation

JUST RETIRE

dortt

Back to top Go down

Phil out of US Open Empty Re: Phil out of US Open

Post by dortt Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:16 pm

think we can assume he is also skipping Pebble Beach in 2019 and 2021 as well as he had other high school graduations to attend

dortt

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:18 pm

Or play the no-pressure Champion's Tour. I understand the food is excellent.

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:40 pm

Proud of PHIL for doing this

Admin
Admin

https://phil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by j58golf Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:29 pm

Maybe the school will move it up 1 day. If Phil requested such a thing the press would have a field day putting the entitlement spin on it. The next 4 venues of the US Open Phil has had success on but he will be older. if its meant to be it will happen.

j58golf

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:19 pm

If it were in the evening, and early late pairing and his jet might work.

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by j58golf Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:28 pm

gophil36 wrote:If it were in the evening, and early late pairing and his jet might work.

I think it's still possible they could change it. With the publicity this is getting now ya never know. I think I read the class has only about 100 graduating.
I wrote an email to the head of the school and asked if they could have some sort of meeting or vote to change it to accommodate Phil but also his millions of fans that know time is running out to accomplish the grand slam. (Yes I know I'm a crazy Phil phanatic lol lol )

j58golf

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:40 am

Something is screwy with this decision.... The US Open is the only thing missing from his 'career grand slam', he has stated he is playing mainly for the majors, yet he so easily let's this one go.  That he doesn't have the fire to make it a top priority is showing his star is fading fast, imo. Maybe this must publicity is causing the school to change the graduation date on their own, maybe not.  I know he said he wouldn't ask them to do it, but the publicity must be reaching them.  He has done something like that before where he's flown back for something in the evening and come back before the next tee off (or was that someone else)? High school graduation, geesh, everyone graduates high school.... I could see if it was college graduation, that's an accomplishment.

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by j58golf Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:11 am

Jim Nance said Amanda was valedictorian that explains her giving a speech. Phil said class president probably that too . Probably didn't want to sound like bragging.
If Phil asked them to change,and they did I think press would have put negative spin on it especially after the Billy walters fiasco. The school has to do it as a courtesy but it is pretty late for that.

j58golf

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:57 am

Way to go, Joan. Hope it works. Maybe we need a petition. LOL

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by j58golf Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:32 pm

gophil36 wrote:Way to go, Joan. Hope it works.  Maybe we need a petition.  LOL

Retired and a lot of time on my hands LOL

j58golf

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:48 pm

Well, I am disappointed. Just watched the men's NCAA golf championships, and that's how long I've been watching Phil and following him. His chances are numbered, and I really want him to play!

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by j58golf Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:32 pm

just read this on Alan Shipnunks column

"I'm curious how calculated this is -- did Phil play Erin Hills and not like it?" -@SNESdrunk

He's never seen the place. And it's not calculated at all -- sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one, and dude just really doesn't want to miss his daughter's commencement speech. But Phil has not entirely given up hope: I had a text volley with Bones on Sunday and he's going to Erin Hills to scout the course and be ready in case Amanda Mickelson's high school makes some kind of accommodation or she forces her dad to play or some other unforeseen event allows Phil to make it to Erin Hills in time.

"Winning score at Erin Hills?" -@amazin1986

j58golf

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:57 pm

There is something screwy in this most recent decision, because a week ago he said "his new plan to prepare for the US Open was to not play a practice round, not try to prep it, just show up and play, and that his preparation would be to play each week and just try to play well....same strategy as Players Championship. Then all of a sudden was this "not playing because of graduation". Isn't graduation dates set up in advance?....that he would have known what that was some time ago? There is something a bit screwy here.

j58golf wrote:just read this on Alan Shipnunks column

"I'm curious how calculated this is -- did Phil play Erin Hills and not like it?" -@SNESdrunk

He's never seen the place. And it's not calculated at all -- sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one, and dude just really doesn't want to miss his daughter's commencement speech. But Phil has not entirely given up hope: I had a text volley with Bones on Sunday and he's going to Erin Hills to scout the course and be ready in case Amanda Mickelson's high school makes some kind of accommodation or she forces her dad to play or some other unforeseen event allows Phil to make it to Erin Hills in time.

"Winning score at Erin Hills?" -@amazin1986

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by j58golf Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:46 pm

In his complete interview that was posted under videos on TGC website he said he knew the date 6 months ago and was hoping it might change. Also said that was why he added colonial just to have another tournament under his belt. Andrew Getson when I was asking him questions at the Players told me he hadn't planned on going to Erin Hills that he would just arrive Monday and said likely to add Colonial. Said he really wants to make President cup on points and he was about 15th at that stage in time. ALL Turned out to be true. Bones checking it out is not the same as Phil grinding hours out chipping on each green as he has done in the past. Bones scoring brownie points in case a long shot change happens. As Phil said not in him to ask for changing date. I could just hear the press spinning it like he's privileged. And after Billy Walters last thing he needs is controversy that he starts himself.Hopefully the school can change it after listening to Jack Nicklaus over weekend.

j58golf

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:00 pm

I'm thinking Phil:

1) knew Erin Hills was going to be extremely difficult (I saw the video where 2 paces off the fairway, the grass was 2-feet high = no escape, and like someone said, figured he'd not do well with his erratic driving.

2) he knew he wasn't going to be playing some time ago as for his "new strategy for prepping for the US Open was 'not going to prep', just show up and play" (the 'no prepping' was because he likely knew he was going to the graduation).

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:20 pm

This is why Phil is happy to go to his daughter's graduation and skip the US Open (video clip). What point does grass like that serve? I think it's going to prove worse that 2 years ago with those lousy greens.

http://www.golfchannel.com/video/na-takes-fescue-erin-hills/

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by dortt Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:48 pm

bulls9999 wrote:This is why Phil is happy to go to his daughter's graduation and skip the US Open (video clip).  What point does grass like that serve?  I think it's going to prove worse that 2 years ago with those lousy greens.

you can parallel park an aircraft carrier on the fairways. These fairways are wider than Augusta's OLD fairways.

Mike Davis said today they should DQ anyone who misses at 10! It's that wide. Even I could hit these fairways regularly

dortt

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 pm

But rock-hard fairways could mean you will get more roll out than normal, and shots 'that should find the fairways' may typically find the rough. We will see what kind of carnage USGA has in store this year.

dortt wrote:
bulls9999 wrote:This is why Phil is happy to go to his daughter's graduation and skip the US Open (video clip).  What point does grass like that serve?  I think it's going to prove worse that 2 years ago with those lousy greens.

you can parallel park an aircraft carrier on the fairways. These fairways are wider than Augusta's OLD fairways.

Mike Davis said today they should DQ anyone who misses at 10! It's that wide. Even I could hit these fairways regularly

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:33 pm

No sense in career-ending injuries because of a course setup IMO.

Last edited by gophil36 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Dortt, you should love Rory's response about the 'rough'... "oh come on, the fairways are 60 yards wide and the 1st & 2nd cuts add another 10 yrds on top of that, so as a PGA tour player, if you can't hit a drive in 70 yrd wide area, you're not really gonna have a chance at this" (or something like that), lol.  Still, let's see who is in the rough this week.

But not so fast Rory....low and behold:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/mcgirts-caddie-finds-mcilroys-errant-ball-at-erin-hills/ar-BBCrZdI?ocid=UE03DHP

Brandon Antus‏ @beaper  Found this today walking Erin Hills. Spotters , more the merrier!!!

Phil out of US Open DB_GlJmXkAA29I5

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Phil Mickelson's caddie turns up at Erin Hills
Phil Mickelson's caddie turns up at Erin Hills

Will he play or won’t he?

Phil Mickelson is at the center of the question surrounding this week's U.S. Open at Erin Hills.

Jim “Bones” Mackay, the longtime caddie of Phil Mickelson, was at Erin Hills doing some research on Tuesday, according to Golf Channel. Mackay's presence perhaps fuels the speculation that Mickelson will try to play.

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by dortt Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:19 am

course is so soft that no ball is going to run through the rough

We could be looking at Whistling Straits scoring from 2015.

dortt

Back to top Go down

Post by j58golf Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:17 pm

j58golf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum