Mickelson Pfanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open Championship Round 4

+6
dortt
CoJack
gregoryc
bulls9999
gophil36
j58golf
10 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Open Championship Round  4 - Page 4 Empty Re: Open Championship Round 4

Post by omiller315 Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:50 pm

Another amazing thing about Phil I saw in an article.. He would have won ALL but 2 Opens in the past 100 years. Still gut wrenching, but alot of positives to take out of it.

Stenson won by three shots over Mickelson, a runner-up for the 11th time in a major, but never like this.

Lefty played bogey-free for a 65 and posted a score (267) that would have won all but two Open Championships over more than a century.

omiller315

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:59 pm

Amazing. I really think that he has some great golf ahead of him if he can stay positive. He looks as good as he ever has, IMO.

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by j58golf Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:04 pm

omiller315 wrote:Another amazing thing about Phil I saw in an article.. He would have won ALL but 2 Opens in the past 100 years. Still gut wrenching, but alot of positives to take out of it.

Stenson won by three shots over Mickelson, a runner-up for the 11th time in a major, but never like this.

Lefty played bogey-free for a 65 and posted a score (267) that would have won all but two Open Championships over more than a century.

those are the type of facts that make this so heartbreaking. As great as he is playing you gotta realize he is 46 time is running out and to have Stenson putt so uncharacteristic and Phil play bogey free 65 is killing me To lose and when someone makes HISTORY is tough to take. Just like Jordan at the Masters .

j58golf

Back to top Go down

Post by omiller315 Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:16 pm

j58golf wrote:
omiller315 wrote:Another amazing thing about Phil I saw in an article.. He would have won ALL but 2 Opens in the past 100 years. Still gut wrenching, but alot of positives to take out of it.

those are the type of facts that make this so heartbreaking. As great as he is playing you gotta realize he is 46 time is running out and to have Stenson putt so uncharacteristic and Phil play bogey free 65 is killing me To lose and when someone makes HISTORY is tough to take. Just like Jordan at the Masters .

Oh. I def agree. Just hoping Phil realizes he is playing great golf this year. I just can't believe Stenson was holing everything. A 6th major and 2nd Claret Jug would have really expanded his already great legacy. Let's hope he can contend at the PGA in a few weeks .. Just amazing that if he doesn't hole the bomb and that last drive runs into the bunker, we would probably be watching a playoff. However I am sure you can say that about alot of tournaments though.

omiller315

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:37 pm

Sickening! He says he's off to New York this next week for Exxon Mobil and going to prep for the PGA, so he thinks it'll be good for him. Just hope that this hasn't taken so much out of him mentally that he won't recover by then. Tough week mentally to stay in the game. I surely wish he'd win. I have to think there's one out there for him!

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by philfan4ever Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:44 pm

If it had been Tiger shooting 65 instead of Phil, you know Stenson would have been +3 today. It's unbelievable how much bad luck Phil has. 11 runner up finishes!!! It's insane. I feel completely gutted for him, but hopefully he feels very proud of himself for putting out a performance this week that was more than worthy of a major title. He's having a great year and I have to believe that sooner than later one of these near wins is going to be an actual win. With all the advancement in equipment, fitness, etc, age is not as much of a barrier as it was in the olden days. Phil also has never been injury prone, which is another big thing he has going for him. But you also need some luck on your side to win these things and man, he really has none sometimes. Freaking Stenson! Does he ever play great aside from when Phil does Shocked Who the heck makes 10 birdies in the final round of a major!?? I can't get over it.

philfan4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:41 pm

At the beginning of the week, David Duval said it takes luck to win this. Stenson's putt of 50+ feet was luck, as was not going in the bunker when he used his 3 wood, and there were more. It seems the golfing gods decided that it was his tournament. I think he focused on his friend who passes this week and tried to forget what he was doing. He is never a good putter. Something possessed him today! I believe Phil will have more chances, but even he says time is not on his side and wonders how many more chances there'll be. I am beyond depressed.

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:52 pm

He's jumped to 5th in the Fed Ex Cup rankings and 3rd in Ryder cup points now with a nice lead. As luck would have it, Phil is now 13th in the world golf ranking ahead of both Reed and Kucher!

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:09 am

Because of the wind forecast, they didn't mow the greens, leaving them slow.  I'm kind of thinking if the weather was not forecast to be as bad and they mowed the greens, I think Henrik would not have made those putts.  Even the announcers were saying Stenson's achille's heel is his putting.

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by dortt Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:26 am

the last 3 years

15 under at the PGA: second
14 under at the Masters: second
17 under at the Open: second

Maybe next year he shoots 20 under at the US open only for Bob Smith to shoot 24 under

dortt

Back to top Go down

Post by dortt Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:27 am

philfan4ever wrote:If it had been Tiger shooting 65 instead of Phil, you know Stenson would have been +3 today. It's unbelievable how much bad luck Phil has. 11 runner up finishes!!! It's insane. I feel completely gutted for him, but hopefully he feels very proud of himself for putting out a performance this week that was more than worthy of a major title. He's having a great year and I have to believe that sooner than later one of these near wins is going to be an actual win. With all the advancement in equipment, fitness, etc, age is not as much of a barrier as it was in the olden days. Phil also has never been injury prone, which is another big thing he has going for him. But you also need some luck on your side to win these things and man, he really has none sometimes. Freaking Stenson! Does he ever play great aside from when Phil does Shocked  Who the heck makes 10 birdies in the final round of a major!?? I can't get over it.

nah. Stenson humiliated Tiger in the final round of the 2009 TPC. Played the same way he did today. Tiger ended up collapsing on the final 9 trying to keep pace

dortt

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:00 am

Phil lost Pebble himself but was also beaten by a low round out of nowhere by a "non-contender". I think he's nice to play with and not really an intimidator. Nothing you can do when someone plays like Stenson did. Disappointing for the second place finisher.

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:26 am

stunning stuff--I will do a seperate comment thread later today

Admin
Admin

https://phil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:29 am

Stenson has been there lately....he also won recently on the EuroPGA. I wish it had been that other guy who was lurking on Day 1 & 2, Soren Kjeldsen, as I didn't think he could sustain.

gophil36 wrote:Phil lost Pebble himself but was also beaten by a low round out of nowhere  by a "non-contender". I think he's nice to play with and not really an intimidator. Nothing you can do when someone plays like Stenson did. Disappointing for the second place finisher.

bulls9999

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:11 pm

I think that Stenson's in one of those zones which last different amounts of times for golfers, when you just play out of your mind. Too bad it doesn't last. Seems like he and Phil are good friends with lots of respect for each other. I'm not sorry for a win by Stenson, just that the loss was Phil's. Wish it could have been his win. Stenson, however, is running out of time himself.

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:21 pm

Kudos to kudos to PHIL!!!

Admin
Admin

https://phil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:44 pm

Yessiree! Problem is, they're already asking if Phil is the favorite for the PGA. I like it much better when he flies under the radar, does his own thing, and lets the fearsome foursome do the interviews!

gophil36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4