Phil reached out to Suzanne Petterson sunday night of the Solheim Cup

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Phil reached out to Suzanne Petterson sunday night of the Solheim Cup

Post by bulls9999 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:36 pm

Mickelson reached out to Pettersen after Solheim Cup controversy

September 30, 2015

Following Suzann Pettersen’s putt-gate moment at the Solheim Cup, one of the first players to reach out to her Sunday night after the matches, the Norwegian said was Phil Mickelson.

“I don’t know how I can thank him enough for the words and hours on the phone -- the good and bad,” Pettersen told Golf Channel’s Tim Rosaforte in an interview that will air Wednesday night at 6 p.m. ET. “He asked me some critical questions, and I had to answer them.”

Pettersen as you probably recall was at the center of controversy during the Saturday fourball matches that were being completed Sunday morning when Allison Lee picked up her ball before the 18-inch putt was conceded.

Lee said she heard someone say it was good; Pettersen, who was walking away from the green and toward the next tee, said otherwise.

The U.S. went on to win anyway in a historic comeback, but the bad taste lingered. The following morning Pettersen offered a heartfelt apology on social media and took the blame.

In between were tears and conversations with her teammates, as well as Michelle Wie, Mickelson and Butch Harmon.

“I never won a point that I felt so bad in my entire life,” Pettersen told Rosaforte. “I feel like it just took away the greatness of the Solheim, which I think is the best competition there is for women’s golf.

“I don’t want to really apologize for what happened, but I want to apologize for the way I handled the situation. I can only talk for myself. I feel like we all have to take responsibility for how we can grow this game to a better game and leave the game better for the kids...I tried to reflect as well as I could over the last week to kind of see how at least I could have done stuff differently to leave the game in a better spot.”

Pettersen still hasn’t talked to Lee but added that she will be one of the first people she reaches out to when both are in Malaysia for next week’s LPGA tournament.
bulls9999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phil reached out to Suzanne Petterson sunday night of the Solheim Cup

Post by j58golf on Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:15 pm

I think that was pretty nice of Phil. I remember seeing a picture of the 2 of them in a golf cart. Must have gotten friendly since both work with Butch.

j58golf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gophil36 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:34 pm

Dr. Phil.

gophil36

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bulls9999 on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:11 am

LOL, haha....as a 'cerebral' type of guy, yea, he'd make a great psychiatrist.

gophil36 wrote:Dr. Phil.
bulls9999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top